Thursday, March 14, 2013

I Woke Up

Aside from my infrequent blog posts, I've been known to write poetry when the inspiration strikes. However, one thing I'm not known for is sharing my poetry. But since everything I'm learning amidst my travels has been drenched in risk, I figured I could get a wee bit personal on the blog and share some of my deeper thoughts. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the next blog post will be about bathrooms in India.

So here you go. Be kind...

"I Woke Up"

I closed my eyes in Chicago
I woke up in New York
On my matrimonial mattress
Laying next to a corpse

I stepped out with my left foot
Followed close by my right
Loaded up with my bullets
For my zombie love fight

Worthless aiming at death
My bullets went astray
Closed my eyes once again 
And woke up in Bombay 

Traveled on to a mountain
Chanted mantras at dawn
Climbed the peak, drank from fountains
Thought my troubles were gone

I feasted on fancies
Ditched my knife for a fork
Closed my eyes once again
But woke up in New York

Thought my vision was broken
Everything appeared black
After all of that lightness
I laid up on my back

Paralyzed in the City 
Was not part of my plan 
Closed my eyes once again
And woke up in Thailand

Started North in the mountains
Then went South to the Sea
Embraced life, bathed in beauty
My desires ran free

I wanted to wade in the gulf, it was deep
But my eyelids got heavy and I fell back asleep

And when my eyes opened,
I could sense in my belly
That life came full circle.
I awakened in Delhi.



No comments:

Post a Comment