Friday, October 5, 2012

Have you read Eat, Pray, Love?

The most frequently asked question about my impending journey: "Have you read Eat, Pray, Love?"

Yes, I've read it. And no, it's not why I'm going...

It's not unique what I'm about to do. In fact, a lot of women do it. Two and a half years ago, I spent a month living in an ashram in India and what surprised me was the number of divorced young women there who had gone out on their own to travel the world. Although I was married at the time (actually my marriage felt more like a technicality at that point as my husband and I were hardly on speaking terms while I was abroad), I felt as though I'd found likeminded women- kindred spirits if you will. I respected that they were their own people. Calling their own shots. Creating their life in the vision they imagined. I was working hard at the time to do just that. I'd even brought in the professionals to help me. Twice a week with my therapist, once a week with my life coach, pop psychology books about creating the "best year of my life"...hey, crisis can get expensive for a newly neurotic New Yorker. Even with all the professional big guns and massively supportive friends, I'd never felt so lost or confused in my life. I was a smart girl, wasn't I? Why couldn't I figure out a way to get out of a toxic relationship?

I was working like crazy. I was waking up 5 days a week before sunrise to teach and train people to be the best versions of themselves, yet I had no money to show for it and I was physically, emotionally and spiritually exhausted. I knew I wanted something different, but I couldn't define it. I knew I wanted to travel, but I couldn't tell you why. The only thing I strongly desired without question or confusion was finding peace...and maybe if I was lucky enough, a little bit of happiness.

Jump ahead to the present...

I was gifted a divorce. I started my own business that I'm taking on the road with me. I detached from my crisis and allowed it to be a motivation for change instead of a prison for sadness and anger. I worked hard to earn the finances for this journey, but I worked even harder to make sure I was in a mentally stable place to embark on it. I'm not completely healed by any means, and I still have a lot of things I plan to work on over the next year but I'm ready for the challenge. And I'm excited to be amongst those women I admired in India by creating my life in the vision I imagined.

So, yes, my tale probably does sound familiar. In fact, you're probably still thinking, "sounds like Eat, Pray, Love." No worries. It's cool if you think that. Maybe it will prompt you to continue following me on my journey.

And in case you were wondering the second most frequently asked question: "Do you speak Thai?"

No.




No comments:

Post a Comment